Sunday, March 13, 2011

Overlining a Fly Rod or Underlining

Since I haven't had the chance to get out fishing yet this spring, I figured I would go to my local park and at least work on my casting a little. I took one of our 9'-0" 6wt "Liquid"  prototypes out for a little workout with a few different line weights. I think what most if not many  fly casters never realize is that the line weight rating posted on the fly rod is simply a recommendation of what the manufacturer suggests is the best weight line to use. That day I had anywhere from a 4wt line all the way up to a 7wt and I gotta say they all worked rather nice for the rod. It comes down to personal preference. If you like a slightly slower more relaxed action don't be afraid to overline you're rod a weight or two. If a faster action is what you like, go down a line weight or two. Lets not forget any fly rod will cast a multiple of lines. It boils down to which feels right for you. We can only recommend what we think feels the best to us on a particular rod. That's not to say that others might like a different feel than us and a slightly different performance characteristic. Experiment and find out what feels the best for you. It can make a huge difference in you casting....and catching for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment